Beginning Farmer Loan Program
Have you been told you need a bigger down payment than you can possibly afford? By taking advantage of the Beginning Farmer Loan Program, your first farm purchase may not be as difficult as you thought. The program also serves as a great resource to help younger family members transition into the family business.
A beginning farmer is an individual or entity who:
- – Has not operated a farm for more than 10 years;
- – Meets the loan eligibility requirements;
- – Substantially participates in the operation;
- – Does not own a farm greater than 30 percent of the median size farm in the county;
- – Must have at least 3 years’ experience on the business side of a farm.
If the applicant is an entity, all members must be related by either blood or marriage and all must be considered beginning farmers.